If you are new to .net technology or even though you are working with .net technology, but you are not knowing the basic of .net technology then this article will help you to understand the all basic concept of .net technology.
If you are attaining any interview and you are not knowing the basic of .net framework then obviously they will reject you. So it is very important to understand the basis concept of .net.
So what is the .net Framework??
.net framework is the software which is developed by Microsoft for creating different type of application software.
What is the platforms?
>> Platform is the set of resource which will help to perform some particular task like Railways platforms will provide the set of resource to come the passenger and travel from source to destination location. It provide all type of facilities for passenger and train. For train, it will also provide the electricity, water, signal, platform number to halt. These all are the essential resource to keep the train running.
Is the .net can called as platform?
>> Yes we can call it as platform since it will provide all suitable environment to run any .net application.
Is the .net is platform independent?
Initially it was not a platform independent. It was developed to work only on window OS. But now it is the platform independent. It will work on all type of environment like window, Mac, Linux etc.
What are the main component of .Net Framework?
Main component of .net Framework is CLR, CTS, CLS and FCL
CLR (Common Language Runtime)
CTS (Common Type System)
CLS (Common Language Specification)
FCL (Framework Class Library)
What is the CLR?
CLR is the common language runtime. It is the heart of .net framework. It performs the following task
1. Garbage collection
2. Code access security
3. Code verification
4. IL to Native code.
What is the CLS ?
CLS is the Common Language Specification. It is the set of rules and guideline to make any language to be execute on .Net Framework.
What is the CTS?
CTS is the Common Type System. It makes ensure that all data type defined in two language get compiled to common data type. It makes the smooth communication between all .net aware languages.
What is the FCL?
FCL is the framework class library. It is collection of reusable classes, interfaces and Value type. It is common for all .net aware languages. It is also called as base class library.
What is the garbage collector?
It is the process of cleaning the unused memory from the application. But it doesn’t clean unmanaged objects. Before .net there were not the concept of garbage collection in vb 6. Developer has to manually write the code for cleaning the unused memory from application.
Garbage collector process happen in 3 generations. Generation define the age of object
a. Generation 0
b. Generation 1
c. Generation 2
Generation 0: When the application create the fresh objects they are marked as Generation 0.
Generation 1: When the Garbage collector is not able to clear the Gen 0 in the first round, it will move to them to Gen 1 bucket.
Generation 2: When the Garbage collector is not able to clear the Gen 1 object, again it will move to them to Gen 2 bucket.
Generation are created to improve the performance of Garbage collector. Garbage collector spend more time on Gen 0 rather than Gen 1 and 2.
Code execution on .net F/w
.Net Framework History
• In 2002 ( .NET Framework 1.0) Visual Studio.net
• In 2003 (.NET Framework 1.1) Visual Studio 2003
• In 2005 (.NET Framework 2.0) Visual Studio 2005
• In 2006 (.NET Framework 3.0) Visual Studio 2005
• In 2007 (.NET Framework 3.5) Visual Studio 2008
• In 2010 (.NET Framework 4.0) Visual Studio 2010
• In 2012 (.NET Framework 4.5) Visual Studio 2012
• In 2013 (.NET Framework 4.5.1) Visual Studio 2013
• In 2015 (.NET Framework 4.6) Visual Studio 2015
Key features of each .net framework
.Net Framework 1.0
• DLL Library
• Support for object oriented web app dev
• Managed code (Code which run under CLR)
• Garbage collection functionality
.Net Framework 1.1
• It came with Visual Studio 2003
• Enhancement in asp.net and ado.net
• Support for mobile asp.net controls
• Security enhancement for Asp.net
• Support for ODBC and Other database
• Support for IPV6(Internet Protocol Version 6)
• .NET Compact Framework for Small device.
.Net Framework 2.0
It came with VS 2005
– Generic collections
– Partial class
– Nullable types
– Anonymous methods
– Data tables
– Membership providers
– New controls and features for ASP.NET
– Support for 64-bit computing
– Microsoft SQL Server integration
.Net Framework 3.0
• WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation
• WCF (Windows Communication Foundation )
• WWF (Windows Workflow Foundation)
• Windows CardSpace
.Net Framework 3.5
• It came with Visual Studio 2008
• Dynamic Data
• Ajax Support
• Multi Targeting Framework
.Net Framework 4.0
• It came with Visual Studio 2010
• Task Parallel Library
• Dynamic Language Runtime(DLR)
• Managed Extensibility Framework(MEF)
• CLR 4.0
.Net Framework 4.5
• It came with Visual Studio 2012
• CLR 4.0 enhanced
• Built-in support to Async
• Support for Windows Store (Metro) app dev
• WPF, WCF, WWF enhanced
• ASP.NET support enhanced
• Native support for Zip compression
.NET Framework 4.5.1
• Came with Visual Studio 2013
• Support for automatic binding redirection
• Improvements towards performance, debugging
• Expanded support for Windows Store app dev
.NET Framework 4.6
• Came with Visual Studio 2015
• A new JIT compiler named RyuJIT for 64-bit
• Support for code page encodings
• Open source .NET framework packages
• Event tracing improvements
• Support for TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2
What type of application can we developed using .net framework?
• Window Form application
• Web application
• Mobile Application
• Services Component
• Game Development
• Wearable device software development
I hope that in this article you will be aware of all basic concepts of.net framework. Please let me share your suggestion.